Role: Youth Mentor – Sports Coach Intern – in partnership with Jack Petchey
Location: Frenford Clubs, The Jack Carter Centre, The Drive, Ilford, Essex, IG1 3PS
Hours: 38 hours a week
Contract Length: 12 months
Reporting to: Frenford Clubs CEO
Who we Are:
Frenford Youth Club are a registered charity supporting young people in the London Borough of Redbridge and surrounding areas.
Frenford’s mission statement is:
“The physical, spiritual (social) and mental development of young people through purposeful leisure time activities so that they will have a positive impact on their local communities.”
The club primarily deliver recreational sports programming for young people which they use to engage, identify and support participants in need.
Frenford currently sees 5000+ young people use their services each year.
Main Purpose of Role:
1. To plan and deliver high quality, sports coaching sessions in a variety of activities. You will deliver sessions that areprogressive and reflective of the needs of our young people, whilst ensuring you foster their desire for continued participation in sport.
2. To engage with young people attending our sessions and to refer on to management those who may benefit from further youth club support.
This role is part of the Jack Petchey Intern programme and isparticularly suited to people in the early stages of their working life. The programme will support a cohort of aspiring, committed and dynamic young interns who have the capability to make a real difference within the youth sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
• To prepare and implement well-structured coaching sessions ensuring a high quality, enjoyable experience centered on the needs of Frenford’s participants. The recreational sessions will help to identify those ready to participate in more competitive play and will aim to provide increased opportunities for children to engage further with the club.
• To be positive role model, creating a positive and fun environment in which to motivate and encourage children to participate in sport and physical activity.
• To support Frenford Stuff the administrative tasks involved in club, school and competition events.
• To help organise and support events with London Youth, Essex Boys and Girls Clubs, the Essex FA and other partners of Frenford as necessary.
• Maintain appropriate records and prepare monitoring reports.
• To take positive steps to identify and overcome barriers to participation amongst children, prioritising access, and inclusion. Work to engage young people to identify potential issues affecting them away from the club.
• Encourage participants to interact with others to develop their confidence and communication skills. Encourage participants to act independently as appropriate and develop leadership opportunities within sessions.
• To agree to abide by Frenford’s Staff Code of Conduct, including professional behaviour, relationships and appearance.
• To carry out duties in accordance with Frenford’s policies, including equal opportunities, safeguarding, health and safety at work.
• To develop and maintain effective and positive working relationships with all staff, including the wider community and sporting organisations.
• To attend appropriate professional development courses as identified through post-holders training needs analysisand in all Jack Petchey events aligned to this role.
• Sports Coaching Qualifications
• Sport Science Qualifications
• Passion for sport and development of young people
• The ability to support young people and act with integrity during stressful times
• Excellent people skills and the ability to establish lasting relationships
• Open-mindedness and willingness to try out new things
• Excellent communication and presentation skills
• Compassion and patience with other people, tolerance and time-flexibility
• Active listening skills and the ability to solve problems as they occur
• Willingness to partake in personal development opportunities
• The nature of the work may involve the post holder carrying out work outside of normal working hours.
• This job description sets out the duties and responsibilities of the post which may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibility entailed.
• This job description allocates duties and responsibilities but does not direct the amount of time to be spent on carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed. Your line manager will